Salary anticipated to be in the range of £25,000 – £48,000 per year dependent on skills and experience.
We are seeking an innovative, flexible, and open-minded dynamic business development manager with an engineering background to join our growing team.
Working closely with the Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) and other Business Development Managers, you will successfully create, identify, grow, take ownership and close revenue generating opportunities. This will include the demonstration and sale of licenses of our unique engineering software solutions, as well as supporting the development of bespoke consultancy projects and R&D innovation projects that further our capabilities.
You will be an excellent collaborative team player striving for team results, both internally and with clients. You will be able to take advice and support from more senior staff while also providing advice, support, and mentorship to more junior staff. You will be empowered to express your opinions and utilise your initiative.
You will be commercially aware and have an excellent rapport with both internal and external stakeholders. You will have a wide ranging relevant network and have intricate knowledge of the offshore wind development process and its value-chains, challenges industry stakeholders face, industry trends, political direction, and have a flair for identifying and valuing new revenue generating opportunities. You will have a global outlook and prioritise the most important opportunities for the company.
Where appropriate and based on company need, you may also support the delivery of consultancy and R&D project delivery using your relevant experience.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key customers and stakeholders, ensuring customer satisfaction and retention
- Identify potential revenue generating opportunities and highlight them to relevant internal stakeholders
- Provide client demonstrations to our unique licensed services and progress discussions and proposals, working alongside others, to successfully make license sales
- Support the engineering and development teams in the creation of, and taking ownership project manage to ensure timely delivery, consultancy project proposals and R&D innovation project proposals that further our capabilities
- Take ownership of relevant entries within the CRM system and ensure it is up-to-date, working with other internal stakeholders as appropriate
- Build and utilise your networks to create opportunities for the company
- Keeping up to date with industry developments and feed opportunities for new revenue generation into the technology development teams
- Where appropriate, build consortia to bring in external expertise to complement internal expertise when developing proposals
- Where appropriate, support the delivery of consultancy projects and R&D innovation projects that further our capabilities
- Negotiate sales contracts with the support of legal advisors
- Set detailed timescales and put in place short-term governance structures, including the allocation of time-limited accountabilities, when delegating to deliver the requirements of the role
- Speaking at conferences and engaging publicly with industry stakeholders
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to
- write specifically and concisely
- communicate effectively with those whose first language is not English
- Commercially aware with a proven ability to understand the needs and objectives of others, and the ability to compare those with the needs and objectives of Kinewell Energy, to find common ground for successful collaboration and agreement
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong customer and stakeholder relationships, with a wide and relevant network that can be leveraged (offshore wind inter-array cable systems, offshore wind export systems, offshore wind turbine layout and energy yield, or transmission inter-connectors)
- Proven ability in negotiation and contract management skills, with a track record of successfully closing deals and achieving revenue targets
- Proven ability in either a SaaS based business or a time-based consultancy business, but preferably both
- Experience and successful application of sales and marketing theory, coupled with strong analytical and research skills, to analyse sales data and make evidence based decisions.
- A proven ability to successfully delegate, communicate effectively and concisely to technical and non-technical audiences, manage relationships with internal and external partners, and manage conflicts of interest that arise.
- Proven leadership skills to motivate colleagues and bring people along with the plan
- A sound understanding of the R&D and innovation funding landscape, and proven ability to bid for, and successfully secure, funding including for complex multi-stakeholder projects
- Experience negotiating IP licensing agreements, and finding a ‘fair slicing of the pie’ when determining who takes the various benefits and risks in complex value-chains.
- Engineering expertise and experience in an area relevant to the company
- A strong understanding of model-based engineering, the required accuracy for the task in hand, and the sources of error between the real world and the model
- Ability to effectively communicate in languages other than English that are relevant to the offshore wind market
Attributes and Behaviour
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts and to explain engineering issues to a lay audience and to simplify them for technical audiences
- Display our core values of honesty, integrity, trust, fairness and pursuit of excellence
- Ability to prioritise workload to meet deadlines
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to relate well and professionally with a wide range of stakeholders
- Demonstrate a ‘can-do’ attitude and be team player
- Willing to ask for support when needed
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to self-improvement, both individually and within the team
- An understanding that working in a small, dynamic and rapidly growing company will likely mean job roles and responsibilities will evolve and change in time
- A willingness to read around complex engineering issues in order to develop an understanding sufficient to be able to converse with a degree of authority with experts in the field in a relatively short period of time
- The right to work in the UK
- A STEM based degree (2:1 or above) in a relevant subject from a highly reputable institution
- Postgraduate qualification
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch and apply. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit with the Kinewell Team