About Kinewell Energy
Kinewell Energy develops and commercialises innovative technologies that add significant scalable value and impact positively on social and environmental challenges.
Our first software solution, Kinewell Layout Optimisation of Cable (KLOC), designs an economically optimised inter-array cable layout for an offshore windfarm. KLOC was Highly Commended by the IET Innovation Awards in 2016 and typically delivers savings c. 20% of cable system cost over the project lifetime.
Using KLOC, we have a successful history of delivering both consultancy and licensing to European, Japanese, US, South Korean and Chinese offshore wind markets. The team have delivered more than a dozen offshore wind cable layout optimisation projects, cumulatively totalling 13 GW. We collaborate with developers, EPC contractors and cable installers, cable manufacturers, consultancies, CPD training providers, research institutions and innovation funding providers.
In February 2022, we were selected by the Innovation Super Network and the North East Business Innovation Centre as one of the most innovative businesses in the North East of England.
The company has grown, and is growing, rapidly, achieving 100% average year-on-year revenue growth. Through this growth, we wish to expand our team and invest in you.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
We are seeking an innovative, flexible, and open-minded dynamic Senior Web Developer to join our growing team. The role will be focused on web application development, but could also involve to a lesser extent expanding our analysis capabilities.
You will lead and develop a team of web developers, and manage relevant sub-contracting partners, to create the very best user experience of our unique tools developed by our engineering team. You will report directly to the CEO, and will promote the skills and expertise of your team within the company to support innovation and product development ideas. You will have a ‘can-do’ attitude with the ability to consider ‘the art of the possible’.
You will be an excellent collaborative team player striving for team results, both internally and with clients. You will be able to take advice and support from more senior staff while also providing line management, advice, support, and mentorship to more junior staff. You will be empowered to express your opinions and utilise your initiative.
You will be commercially aware and have an excellent rapport with both internal and external stakeholders. You will take ownership of some business development activities of the company through identifying potential revenue generating opportunities and developing both R&D funding and consultancy proposals, and successfully take the opportunity through to completion.
We are a North-East based company, and the role will be predominately work-from-home based within the North-East of England. When COVID restrictions allow, some national and international travel is to be expected.
For informal enquiries, please contact Dr Andrew Jenkins, CEO and Founder of Kinewell Energy. Andrew.email@example.com
- Lead and develop a first class web developer team
- Create the very best user experience for our unique tools developed by the engineering team
- Identify and scope new features and solutions that could form future R&D activities
- Develop specifications for sub-contractors where external expertise is required, and manage the company’s relationship with them
- Utilise your existing networks to identify new funding and revenue opportunities, and where appropriate take ownership of the opportunity to successfully close contracts to generate revenue
- Support the development of R&D funding proposals and consultancy proposals, and where appropriate take ownership of the opportunity to successfully close contracts to generate revenue
- Coach and mentor more junior staff, and where allocated undertake a line management role
- Maintain international company presence by participating in conferences and webinars, seeking new opportunities in areas relevant to the company
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Excellent understanding of client user experience needs, and proven ability to deliver web app based graphical interface software to achieve that user experience
- Proven technical ability in the following areas:
- Back end development (database interaction, page navigation etc) in C#:
- .NET Core Model-View-Controller (MVC) framework
- Entity Framework Core o
- Front end development:
- Node package manager
- Source control, e.g. git, Sourcetree
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to:
- Communicate issues and considerations related to your technical specialism effectively to those not experienced in the field
- Write specifically and concisely
- Communicate effectively with those whose first language is not English
- Experience coaching and mentoring more junior staff
- Experience line managing staff with strong leadership and project management skills
- Flare for creating innovative solutions to software problems
- Experience delivering highly uncertain collaborative R&D projects, and an ability to undertake independent research
- Experience in the following technical areas:
- Experience in code reviews
- Experience working professionally in a net-zero focussed engineering context, particularly offshore wind
- A strong understanding of model-based engineering
- Experience writing R&D and consultancy proposals, resulting in successfully funded projects
- Ability to effectively communicate in languages other than English
- Prior experience delivering international consultancy projects
Attributes and Behaviour
- Ability to relate well and professionally with a wide range of stakeholders
- Demonstrate a ‘can-do’ attitude and team player
- Willing to ask for support when needed
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
- An understanding that working in a small, dynamic and rapidly growing company will likely mean job roles and responsibilities will change with new starters resulting in roles becoming increasingly specialised
- A degree (2:1 or above) in a subject relevant to the role , e.g. Software development computer science, maths or engineering, from a highly reputable institution
- The right to work in the UK
- Formal educational qualifications and/or CPD in fields related to the net-zero energy transition (Offshore wind, Electric Vehicles, or Solar PV, etc)