About Kinewell Energy
Kinewell Energy develops and commercialises innovative technologies that add significant scalable value and impact positively on social and environmental challenges. We deliver this through operating with honesty, integrity, trust, fairness and a pursuit of excellence.
Our first software solution, Kinewell Layout Optimisation of Cable (KLOC), designs an economically optimised inter-array cable layout for an offshore windfarm. KLOC was Highly Commended by the IET Innovation Awards in 2016 and typically delivers savings c. 20% of cable system cost over the project lifetime.
Using KLOC, we have a successful history of delivering both consultancy and licensing to European, Japanese, US, South Korean and Chinese offshore wind markets. The team have delivered more than a dozen offshore wind cable layout optimisation projects, cumulatively totalling 13 GW. We collaborate with developers, EPC contractors, cable installers, cable manufacturers, consultancies, CPD training providers, research institutions and innovation funding providers.
In February 2022, we were selected by the Innovation Super Network and the North East Business Innovation Centre as one of the most innovative businesses in the North East of England.
The company has grown, and is growing, rapidly, achieving 100% average year-on-year revenue growth. Through this growth, we wish to expand our team and invest in you.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
We are seeking an experienced Offshore Wind Consultant Engineer to join our rapidly growing team.
You will take a lead in delivering consultancy services to blue-chip high-profile offshore wind clients utilising our unique software solutions, delivering GBP tens of millions of added value. Through your prior consulting experience, you will increase the depth of our consulting offer while also supporting Kinewell Energy R&D efforts to develop the very best software tools possible that meet the current and future needs of external licensed clients.
You will develop in-depth knowledge and expertise related to our unique software solutions, enabling you to provide support to external licensed clients, and deliver training to new licensed clients, where appropriate.
You will be an excellent collaborative team player striving for team results, both internally and with clients. You will be able to take advice and support from more senior staff while also providing advice, support, and mentorship to more junior staff. You will be empowered to express your opinions and utilise your initiative.
You will be commercially aware and have an excellent rapport with both internal and external stakeholders. You will support the business development activities of the company through identifying potential revenue generating opportunities and developing both R&D funding and consultancy proposals.
We are a North-East based company, and the role will be predominately work-from-home based within the North-East of England. Some in-person meetings and office based co-working is to be expected. Furthermore where COVID restrictions allow, some national and international travel is to be expected.
- Utilise our unique products and services, coupled with your own expertise, to deliver consultancy projects to clients
- Where appropriate, project manage relevant projects on time and on budget
- Deliver excellent training courses to external stakeholders on how to utilise our unique products and services
- Identify new funding and revenue opportunities
- Coach and mentor more junior staff
- Maintain international company presence by participating in conferences and webinars seeking new opportunities in areas relevant to the company
- Identify and scope new features and solutions that could form future R&D activities
- Where appropriate, support the delivery of our R&D activities to improve our products and services
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to
- write specifically and concisely
- communicate effectively with those whose first language is not English
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Excellent use of MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, OneDrive, Teams, Powerpoint and Outlook
- Experience of managing a large, varied workload with competing demands
- Previous experience working within offshore wind and consultancy
- A strong understanding of model-based engineering, the required accuracy for the task in hand, and the sources of error between the real world and the model
- Experience undertaking offshore wind engineering studies such as:
- Inter-array cable layout optimisation
- Cable thermal analysis
- Turbine layout optimisation and/or wind yield analysis
- Export system technology choices
- Power systems analysis
- Experience using relevant software solutions to support relevant offshore wind engineering studies
- A good professional network with excellent rapport with relevant potential new clients
- A proven ability to write successful proposals and win new fee-earning work related to your expertise
- Experience delivering highly collaborative R&D projects, and an ability to undertake independent research
- Experience managing, coaching, or mentoring more junior staff
- Ability to code software in a variety of languages
- Have a working knowledge of optimisation algorithms, and how to select an appropriate algorithm for a particular problem
- Ability to effectively communicate in languages other than English that are relevant to the offshore wind market
Attributes and Behaviour
- Display our core values of honesty, integrity, trust, fairness and pursuit of excellence.
- Ability to prioritise workload to meet deadlines
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to relate well and professionally with a wide range of stakeholders
- Demonstrate a ‘can-do’ attitude and team player
- Willing to ask for support when needed
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to self-improvement, both individually and within the team
- An understanding that working in a small, dynamic and rapidly growing company will likely mean job roles and responsibilities will change with new starters resulting in roles becoming increasingly specialised
- The right to work in the UK
- A STEM based degree (2:1 or above) in a relevant subject from a highly reputable institution
- Project management related qualifications
- Hold further relevant qualifications related to the role
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch and apply. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit with the Kinewell Team